Monday, November 8, 2010

in the beginning

My family does not know how to communicate with each other. AT ALL. This includes my husband and I, our two children, our parents, grandparents, etc. Even though most of us talk to each other on a daily basis, there is no communication. No one talks about their feelings, or ideas or dreams. We seem to talk only just enough to get our basic needs met. What we need from the store, what paperwork the school needs us to sign now, did you pay the cable bill, what's for dinner, etc. But in these basic conversations, we do not communicate. So, I came up with an idea to help get things started.

Starting small, with just my immediate family, I got out notecards and starting asking questions. I wanted our notecards to include the ONE worst thing that happened to us, followed by the FIVE best things that happened each day. This allows each of us to acknowledge both the good and the bad, but presents a more positive spin by adding additional good things. In doing this, I hope to show my husband that there is more to life than his laptop, work and the internet. I hope to show my 11 year old daughter that her life is not really as bad as she thinks it is. I hope to show my 2 year old son how to communicate effectively right from the start. And I hope to show myself that nothing is ever perfect. So here goes nothing...

No comments:

Post a Comment